Top 3 Must Have Skill Sets:
Hands on experience with molecular and cellular biology techniques including RNA and protein extraction and analysis, quantitative PCR and mammalian cell culture
Hands on experience and knowledge in developing, validating and executing cell-based and biochemical assays, including ELISA/immunological assays and reporter assays in 96-well format
Strong organizational, analytical, and notebook/record keeping skills
The Cardiometabolic Disorders Department at Amgen in Thousand Oaks is seeking a highly motivated Sr. Associate Scientist (Contingent Worker/Temp) to join a team of investigators in pursuit of innovative treatments for obesity and the related cardiometabolic disorders.
The successful candidate is expected to:
• Drive the advancement of projects by performing laboratory experiments under minimal supervision and working closely with a group of committed scientists
• With some supervision, plan, conduct or monitor experiments, record and organize data, analyze results, troubleshoot, generate robust and reliable data
• Exhibit expertise in a wide range of molecular and cellular biology techniques, such as primary cell culture, stable cell line development, functional cell-based assay development, CRISPR/Cas-based genome editing, immunoassays (western blot, ELISA, flow cytometry, etc.), RT-qPCR, fluorescent microscopy, and other imaging methods as necessary
• Operate and maintain standard lab equipment
• Document experimental plans and procedures timely with great attention to detail.
• Exhibit self-motivation and proactive attitude in designing and conducting experiments using cutting-edge technologies
• Present preclinical data internally and engage coworkers in scientific discussions
• Contribute to internal/external reports, presentations, regulatory documents, invention disclosure submissions and/or patents
• Understand when to seek input and when to make independent judgments
Master’s degree and 2 years of experience in molecular biology, cell biology, or related discipline
Bachelor’s degree and 5 years of experience in molecular biology, cell biology, or related discipline
• Strong conceptual background in molecular biology, cell biology, or biochemistry
• Hands-on experience with mammalian cell culture technique including primary cell culture, transient and stable transfection
• Experience performing molecular biology experiments, such as RNA, DNA extraction, qPCR, cloning.
• Hand-on experience in handling samples in 96-well format
• Critical thinking and attention to detail
• Strong organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills
• Interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills.
• Proficiency in GraphPad Prism, Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
• Strong desire to discover transformative therapeutics for cardiometabolic diseases such as obesity and fatty liver disease.
"This posting is for Contingent Worker, not an FTE"