Top 3 Must Have Skill Sets:
Good organization skills
Leading global biotechnology company, with a mission to serve patients around the world. As a science-based, patient-focused organization, we discover and develop innovative therapies to treat serious illnesses. Our medicines have made a dramatic difference in the lives of millions. To underpin our commitment to serve patients, is hiring in the Department of Protein Technologies, Biologics, at our Research and Development facility in South San Francisco, CA (ASF).
We are looking for a highly motivated candidate to join the ASF Protein Technologies group. This group provides comprehensive molecular cloning, protein expression, purification and analytics support for the early stage pipeline of projects including both protein and small molecule therapeutics. The successful candidate will be a part of a team supporting lead identification of therapeutic proteins and protein reagent production for Research.
Job Duties: Candidate will work in a highly-integrated and collaborative team environment and contribute independently to diverse functions depending upon project needs and priority.
1. Protein purification
a) Purifying mammalian cell-expressed proteins using Akta chromatography system (including affinity purification, ion exchange, and size-exclusion chromatography).
b) Removal of protein tags using proteases; biotinylation of proteins, as needed.
2. Protein Analytics
a) SDS-PAGE, Western blotting
b) HPLC-SEC analytics of purified proteins and data interpretation
c) Mass Spectrometry analytics of purified proteins and data interpretation
3. General routine laboratory activities
a) Maintenance of laboratory and workstation cleanliness and organization
1. AS, BA or BS in science related field
2. 2-10 years general laboratory experience with significant hands-on laboratory work demonstrating mastery of micro-pipetting, sample manipulation in small tubes and multi-well plates, SDS-PAGE; knowledgeable about and comfortable using other basic lab equipment (e.g. pH meter, balances, centrifuges); proficient making basic calculations, e.g. for making standard buffers from dry chemical ingredients or liquid stock solutions.
3. 1-2 years experience purifying proteins from E. coli, insect and/or mammalian hosts; protein expression experience is a plus
4. 1-2 years experience with modern Akta Pure chromatography system (FPLC) using affinity-capture and SEC chromatography steps
5. 1-2 years experience with preparing and analyzing samples with mass spectrometry (e.g. TOF MS); interpretation of MS data is a plus
6. Ability to follow established laboratory protocols and adhere to data standards; attention to detail and careful execution of laboratory tasks are essential to our team
7. Strong written and oral communication skills
8. Proficient in Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, LIMS; experience with electronic notebooks
9. Must work well in a team environment and be capable of m
"This posting is for Contingent Worker, not an FTE"